MINUTES of Estates (Open Spaces) Committee meeting held virtually on 14 October 2020 CHAIR APPROVED
Present: Cllr Booth (Chair), Cllr Evans, Cllr Tile, Cllr Needham, Cllr Maltby, J Beighton-Emms (Town Clerk) and 3 members of the public
Public Questions; None.
OS/10.20/01 Apologies for absence: Cllr Nash, Cllr Boughton and Estates (Open Spaces) Manager
OS/10.20/02 Election of the Chair: This item was deferred until the next meeting.
OS/10.20/03 Minutes of the previous meeting: The minutes of the meeting held on 5 August 2020 were proposed by Cllr Tile, seconded by Cllr Evans and approved as an accurate record of proceedings.
OS/10.20/04 Declarations of interest: None
OS/10.20/05 Estates (Open Spaces) Manager’s Report: The Committee considered a report from the Estates (Open Spaces) Manager which was previously circulated and is attached as Appendix A;
1. The Committee considered the cost of replacement sleepers at £2200. They agreed to consider old used sleepers and find out if these were environmentally acceptable.
2. It was agreed that the OS manager would look at costing options for the bushes and also enquire if CBC were planning a further tree giveaway. The Town Clerk reported that these were needed to form a further barrier.
3. It was agreed that the area on the KGV could be cut.
4. The Town Clerk updated the committee on the request from a local football team to use the pitch on the KGV each weekend. The pitch needs to be marked out again at the cost of £150. A member of the public offered to get in touch with his contact at Wivenhoe Town Football club to see if they could assist. The Town Clerk confirmed that Fields in Trust had been contacted and use of the pitch on a regular basis is not an issue. The team will be informed that the council agree to this use and marking the pitch will be arranged.
5. The OS manager would like a plan for the sensory garden project formerly led by Cllr Newton and Cllr Evans. It was agreed that the OS manager could work on the plan and action it, keeping the committee updated. Cllr Evans reported that he had 2 mirrors which could be installed
OS/10.20/06 Request of use of the football pitch on the KGV: See above
OS/10.20/07 Request from St Mary’s Church Wivenhoe: The Town Clerk reported that the PCC Secretary, St Mary’s Church had contacted her. They are planning ahead in connection with the building of the annexe to the church and there is the possibility that bones may be unearthed. In other areas were bones have been found in a closed churchyard they have been interred locally. The church would also like to know the cost. Appropriate enquiries have been made by WTC staff with the ICCM. It was agreed that that it would not be an issue to offer a plot or common grave at the new cemetery. The Town Clerk will keep the committee updated.
OS/10.20/08 Table Tennis on the KGV: The Town Clerk reported that the OS manager has suggested a flat area by the playground as the best location for the installation of an outside table tennis table. The costs would be covered by funding from Cllr Julie Young, ECC. The committee agreed on the location. The Town Clerk will contact Steve Collis, CBC to make the necessary arrangements.
OS/10.20/09 Date and time of next meeting; It was agreed that the next meeting would take place at 7.30pm on Wednesday 16 December 2020.
Two members of the public, who would like to be co-opted as councillors, updated the
committee on their ideas for play equipment on the KGV and also on a project
management process. They were thanked and asked to provide details to the Town
Cllr Maltby asked it was possible to provide a covered area on the KGV so that groups
could meet there rather than in an enclosed space. The Town Clerk advised that the
OS manager was not keen on this idea as it provided a shelter for anti-social
behavior to take place as well as vandalism. The committee agreed that these were
The Chair closed the meeting at 20.10
Estates Manager – Report
EOS Meeting 14 October 2020
1. Jubilee Garden – Sleepers are rotting, to replace £2,200.00
2. Bushes Old Cemetery – to install bushes by lower wall
3. Long grass on KGV – can it be cut
4. Football team for Wivenhoe – Ope – all clear from F.A. to use the field, need to get it marked out – approx. £150.00 – this will only be temporary as they will need a venue with changing rooms post Covid-19
5. Need full plan for Sensory Garden from resp. Councillor