New Lockdown Regulations

Published: 5th November 2020

New Lockdown Regulations.

The new Legislations were laid before parliament last night The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020.

The guidance for the new regulations has also been updated If passed by Government today they will come into effect at 00:01 on Thursday the 5th of November and will stay in effect until the 2nd December.

It should be noted that these regulations expire in 28 days, Medium, High and Very high regulations have also been revoked. So we can assume that that new legislation will be enacted at the end of this lockdown period.

On to the Legislation, abbreviated for ease and worded as the guidance states. We have tried to highlight the most important points. The details will be in further the regulations so not every question will be answered.

Part 1 is all about definitions and explanatory notes so we won’t go into detail.

5. restrictions on leaving home (1) No person may leave home or be outside the place where they live without reasonable excuse. Note there are a number of exceptions to this, 13 in fact, but in short you can -

Work and volunteering
You can leave home for work purposes, or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where you cannot do this from home.

Essential activities
You can leave home to buy things at shops which are open, for instance for food and medicine, or to collect any items - including food or drink - ordered through click-and-collect or as a takeaway, to obtain or deposit money, or to access critical public services (see section below).

Fulfilling legal obligations
You may also leave home to fulfil legal obligations, or to carry out activities related to buying, selling, letting or renting a property.

Education and childcare
You can leave home for education (formal provision, rather than extracurricular classes such as music or drama tuition), training, registered childcare and children’s activities that are necessary to allow parents/carers to work, seek work, or undertake education or training. Parents can still take their children to school, and people can continue existing arrangements for contact between parents and children where they live apart.

Meeting others and care
You can leave home to visit people in your support bubble, or to provide informal childcare for children 13 and under as part of a childcare bubble, to provide care for vulnerable people, to provide emergency assistance, attend a support group (of up to 15 people), or receive respite care. People can also exercise outdoors or visit an outdoor public place (see section 3).

Medical reasons, harm and compassionate visits
You can leave home for any medical reason, including to get a COVID-19 test, appointments and emergencies, to visit someone who is giving birth or dying, to avoid or escape risk of injury or harm (such as domestic abuse), to visit someone in a care home (if permitted under care home guidance), hospice, hospital, to accompany them to a medical appointment, or to go to the vets (or other animal welfare services).

You can leave home to attend a place of worship for individual prayer, a funeral or a related event for someone who has died, to visit a burial ground or a remembrance garden, or to attend a deathbed wedding. A full list of what is allowed can be found in the regulations.

For ease of looking the exceptions are -
1) The Person or 'P' as they put is for general shopping etc.
2) Work, Voluntary Service, Education and training etc.
3) Elite athletes
4) Medical need
5) Support and respite
6) Death bed visit
7) Funeral etc. (max 30)
8) Marriages and Civil Partnerships
9) Children (note this allows for bubbles to be formed for the care of children)
10) Animal Welfare NOTE: This relates to seeing a VET and exercise
11) Returning Home
12) Prison visits
13) Other visits permitted under regulations 11 (Gatherings)

PART 3 RESTRICTIONS ON GATHERINGS - A gathering takes place when two or more persons are present together in the same place in order— (a) to engage in any form of social interaction with each other, or (b) to undertake any other activity with each other.

In short, no person may participate in a gathering which
a) consists of two or more people and
b) takes place in doors
No person may participate in a gathering which
a) takes place in a public outdoor place and consists of more than two people or
b) takes place in any other outdoor place (including any outdoor part of a private dwelling) and consists of two or more people
Organisations or facilitation of gatherings
No person may hold, or be involved in the holding of , a relevant gathering. Details and exemption apply under section 10
Exceptions are
1) same or Linked Households
2) gatherings necessary for certain purposes
3) Legal obligations and proceedings
4) Criminal Justice accommodation
5) Support groups
6) Respite care
7) Births and visiting person receiving treatment
8) Marriages and civil partnerships (for marriages consist of no more than 6 People)
9) Visiting a dying person
10) Funerals (No more than 30 persons)
11) Commemorative event Following a persons death (no more than 15 persons) cannot be in a private dwelling and is for the scattering of ashes or stone setting ceremony)
12) Elite Sports
13) Children

GUIDANCE - There are still circumstances in which you are allowed to meet others from outside your household or support bubble in larger groups, but this should not be for socialising. A full list of these circumstances can be found in the regulations.

 The main reasons are for work, voluntary or charitable services, and formal education or training (as opposed to extracurricular classes). This includes where you are fulfilling legal obligations. It can also include work in other people’s homes where necessary - for example, for nannies, cleaners or tradespeople. Where a work meeting does not need to take place in a private home or garden, it should not - for example, although you can meet a personal trainer, you should do so in an outdoor public place.

 Support groups that have to be delivered in person can continue with up to 15 participants where formally organised to provide mutual aid, therapy or any other form of support. This includes, but is not limited to, support to victims of crime, people in drug and alcohol recovery, new parents and guardians, people with long-term illnesses, people facing issues relating to their sexuality or gender, and those who have suffered bereavement, and vulnerable young people, including for them to meet young workers.

 Parent and child groups can continue where they provide support to parent and/or child, and children under 5 will not be counted within the 15 person limit - meaning parents and carers can attend such groups in larger numbers.

 Funerals and some weddings can continue subject to conditions.
Sections 12,13 Linked Childcare Household please read regulations if asked this question.
GUIDANCE - To reduce social contact, the Government has ordered certain businesses and venues to close or restrict how they provide goods and services. These include:
 Non-essential retail, such as clothing and homeware stores, vehicle showrooms (other than for rental), betting shops, tailors, tobacco and vape shops, electronic goods and mobile phone shops, and market stalls selling non-essential goods. These venues can continue to be able to operate click-and-collect (where goods are pre-ordered and collected off the premises) and delivery services

 Hospitality venues such as cafes, restaurants, pubs, bars and social clubs; with the exception of providing food and drink for takeaway (before 10pm; and not including alcohol), click-and-collect, drive-through or delivery

 Accommodation such as hotels, hostels, guest houses and campsites. Except for specific circumstances, such as where these act as someone’s main residence, where they cannot return home, for homeless people, or where it is essential to stay there for work purposes

 Leisure and sports facilities such as leisure centres and gyms, swimming pools, tennis and basketball courts, golf courses, fitness and dance studios, climbing walls, archery, driving, and shooting ranges

 Entertainment venues such as theatres, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, casinos, amusement arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, skating rinks, go-karting venues, soft play centres and areas, circuses, funfairs, zoos and other animal attractions, water parks, theme parks. Indoor attractions at botanical gardens, heritage homes and landmarks must also close, though outdoor grounds of these premises can stay open
 Personal care facilities such as hair, beauty, tanning and nail salons. Tattoo parlours, spas, massage parlours, body and skin piercing services must also close.

 It is also prohibited to provide these services in other peoples’ homes

 Community centres and halls must close except for a limited number of exempt activities as set out below. Libraries can also remain open to provide access to IT and digital services - for example for people who do not have it at home - and for click-and-collect

 Places of worship, apart from for the purposes of independent prayer, and service broadcasting and funerals

 These businesses and places will also be permitted to be open for a small number of exempt activities, including:
 education and training (including for schools to use sports and leisure facilities where that it part of their normal provision)

 childcare purposes and supervised activities for children

 blood donation and food banks

 to provide medical treatment

 for elite sports persons (in indoor and outdoor sports facilities), professional dancers and choreographers (in fitness and dance studios)

 for training and rehearsal without an audience (in theatres and concert halls)

 for the purposes of professional film and TV filming

Businesses and venues which can remain open

Other businesses are permitted to stay open, following COVID-19 Secure guidelines. This includes those providing essential goods or services, including:
 Essential retail such as food shops, supermarkets, pharmacies, garden centres, hardware stores, building merchants and off-licences.

 Petrol Stations, car repair and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses.

 Banks, building societies, post offices, loan providers and money transfer businesses

 Funeral directors

 Launderettes and dry cleaners

 Medical and dental services

 Vets and pet shops

 Agricultural supplies shops

 Storage and distribution facilities

 Car parks, public toilets and motorway service areas.

 Outdoor playgrounds

Public Services

The majority of public services will continue and you will be able to leave home to visit them. These include:
 the NHS and medical services like GPs and dentists. We are supporting the NHS to safely carry out urgent and non-urgent services and it is vital anyone who thinks they need any kind of medical care comes forward and seeks help

 Jobcentre Plus sites

 Courts and probation services

 Civil Registrations Offices

 Passport and Visa Services

 Services provided to victims
 Waste or Recycling Centres
 To help contain the virus, everyone who can work effectively from home must do so. Where people cannot do so - including, but not limited to, people who work in critical national infrastructure, construction, or manufacturing - they should continue to travel to their workplace. This is essential to keeping the country operating and supporting sectors and employers.

 Public sector employees working in essential services, including childcare or education, should continue to go into work.

 Where it is necessary to work in other people’s homes - for example, for nannies, cleaners or tradespeople - you can do so.

 The risk of transmission can be substantially reduced if COVID-19 secure guidelines are followed closely. Extra consideration should be given to those people at higher risk.
If you have any questions please refer to the CBC website in the first instance.
Thanks are due to the hard work of the staff of CBC who compiled this digest of the new regulations.


Subscribe to the WTC Newsletter

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Report Potholes

Essex County Council is responsible for highways in and around Wivenhoe. 
Report potholes directly here.

Fix My Street

FixMyStreet directs reports of problems with your street, such as failed streetlights, to the correct local authority department.
© Wivenhoe Town Council 2021
Website by  
Big Red Web Design
Site Map • Privacy Policy • Copyright Notice • Website Disclaimer • Terms & Conditions