Published: 1st May 2020

A message from our Town Mayor, Cllr. Nick Tile:

Have you hit a Pot Hole and it's caused damage to your vehicle?

The Local Authority or The Highways Authority have a legal obligation to maintain,inspect and repair. Ask them to check if this has been done and when. Ask for proof!

What to do!

The first thing to do is start collecting the proof, pronto. No matter which authority you're claiming from, your overall goal's the same – to gather enough evidence to prove the authority was negligent.

If completely safe (not on high speed roads) take photos and measure the pothole's depth. If you've a tape measure handy, and if it's safe try this on a, measure the depth of the pothole and note it down. If it's 40mm or more deep (roughly the height of two 20p coins) then bingo – it's definitely worth pursuing. If it's less, it's still worth continuing, but you might not get the full cost of repairs back. Measure the width too.

• Copies of repair invoices and proof of payment.
• Copies of your mechanic's statement on cause of damage.
• A note (or map) of the pothole's location.
• Note of the date and time the damage occurred.
• Photos of the damage.
• Photos of the pothole if possible.
• Notes from anyone who saw the incident

Good luck and persevere !!!

Related to this article:

Subscribe to the WTC Newsletter

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Report Potholes

Essex County Council is responsible for highways in and around Wivenhoe. 
Report potholes directly here.

Fix My Street

FixMyStreet directs reports of problems with your street, such as failed streetlights, to the correct local authority department.
© Wivenhoe Town Council 2021
Website by  
Big Red Web Design
Site Map • Privacy Policy • Copyright Notice • Website Disclaimer • Terms & Conditions