Would you like to become a town councillor?
We have a councillor vacancy on Wivenhoe Town Council.
Who We Are And What We Do
Wivenhoe Town Council is a statutory body made up of up to thirteen unpaid volunteers, who promote and watch over the interests of Wivenhoe residents. We are the most local level of government, but not affiliated to any political party.
We deliver numerous services that meet local needs, including allotments, car parks, community buildings (including the William Loveless Hall), open spaces such as the King George V field, as well as managing Wivenhoe Cemetery and Chapel Museum.
As Councillors we:
- Make decisions at committee meetings, deciding which activities to support, where money should be spent, what services should be delivered and what policies should be implemented
- Monitor the impact of decisions to ensure efficient and effective services
- Help our constituents and local organisations
- We liaise with local organisations such as the police and highways authority and Colchester City Council, and follow up issues on behalf of members of the public
- We initiate new projects to improve the local community
Who We Need:
If you would like to become a councillor and make a difference, these are some of the qualities we are looking for:
- You should care about the community in which you live and want to make a difference
- We would like you to have the time to commit approximately 5-10 hours a week to council work and meetings. We urge all of our new councillors to join a number of committees to get a feel for how the council works and what they would like to take on over the coming year
- You could bring a new skill, expertise or key local knowledge to the council
- You should have the ability to listen and critique constructively, and be a good team player
- You must be a British citizen, a citizen of the commonwealth or a citizen of a member state of the European Union
- You must be 18 years of age or over
- You must be a registered elector in Wivenhoe or, during the whole of the twelve months before the co-option, have owned or been a tenant of any land or premises in Wivenhoe, or your principal or only place of work has been in Wivenhoe, or have resided in Wivenhoe or within 4.8km (3 miles) of it.
If you are interested, we would love to hear from you. Please email the Town Clerk on email@example.com by Monday 5 June 2023, setting out why you would like to join us and what skills or qualities you will bring.
This will be followed by an interview and selection process on 19th June 2023.